Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Labyrinth and knitting


I love knitting, always have a thread to make knots and stitches with.

During the Christmas Holidays I knitted a long string for the labyrinth, to tie the old, worn women's shoes with.
Why knitted? Because we have always done it...
Remember Penelope? She un did what she had knitted during the day waiting for Ulises to come... Now even my grandson has asked me to teach him how to knit... And quite a few girls, like Camila, and Julieta, and Emilia and Luisa... and Marcela, and Maria and Laura del Mar...  that I remember of here in Ottawa. Oh, In Colombia I knitted with the group fron "La Asociacion de Mujeres de las Veredas de La Calera"  and other groups. We all have learned how to knit.
I tell the girls, /When you need it. you will remember. The important thing now is to learn how to make some stitches...
And why purple?  remember that poem... " When I am an old woman I shall wear purple"... That is the color for us.
So here is my knitted string that ties the pieces of the installation together.

No comments:

Post a Comment